The Professor's Top 10 Indie Bands
I've been wanting to do this for awhile! I wanted to share with you my favorite top 10 Indie Bands! These bands are on my i-pod and I rock the smack out of 'em! So let's see if you will like them!
10) Soulfly: Soulfly is a heavy metal band formed in 1997 and based in Phoenix, Arizona. The original lyrical content revolved around spirituality, political and religious themes, with later albums encompassing other themes including war, violence, aggression, slavery, hatred and anger. Soulfly is led by former Sepultura front-man Max Cavalera, who formed the band after he left the Brazilian group in 1996. To date the band has released ten studio albums, one tour EP, twenty-three singles, one video album, and twelve music videos.
9) Listener: Listener is a spoken word rock band from Fayetteville, Arkansas. Initially an underground hip hop project by Dan Smith, who used the moniker "Listener", the project evolved into a full-fledged rock band. The current lineup consists of vocalist, trumpeter, and bassist Dan Smith, guitarist Jon Terrey, and drummer Kris Rochelle.
8) Jetty Rae: Jetty Rae (born January 13, 1987) is an unsigned indie folk American singer/songwriter whose career began in Kona, Hawaii but now lives full-time in a renovated Airstream. Notable appearances include Lilith Fair 2010, CMJ Music Festival, Ann Arbor Summer Festival, and a number of CFA festivals including Agapefest, Big Ticket, and Fandana Festival. Jetty Rae's music has been used by companies such as Microsoft, Petco, and Ben and Jerry's to promote their brands.
7) Demon Hunter: Demon Hunter is an American Christian metal band from Seattle, Washington, started in 2000 by brothers Don Clark and Ryan Clark. Although the brothers created the band, only one remains, since Don Clark has left the band to take care of his family. As of early 2010, the band has sold over half a million albums. The band's style is known for combining nu metal sounds and qualities with ones heard in metalcore.
6) Leningrad: Leningrad (Russian: Ленинград), also known as Gruppirovka Leningrad (Russian: Группировка "Ленинград") and Bandformirovanie Leningrad (Russian: Бандформирование "Ленинград"), is a popular Russian rock band from Saint Petersburg (formerly Leningrad), led by Sergey "Shnur" Shnurov. Composed of 14 members, the band was founded in the late 1990s. Leningrad soon became notorious for vulgar lyrics (including lots of Russian mat) and celebration of alcoholism, which were also the main reasons most radio stations initially avoided the band. This did not stop Leningrad's growing popularity, partly because of the rich brass sound. The band eventually made its way to radio and TV (with profanity bleeped out). Shnurov even presented several New Year's Eve TV shows.
5) Mars ILL: Mars Ill is an emcee/DJ hip-hop duo from Atlanta, Georgia. The duo consists of Gregory Owens (Manchild) and Nathan Corrona (DJ Dust). They are also part of the hip-hop collective and supergroup Deepspace5. Coming together in 1998, Mars Ill has released several albums and EPs through independent record labels and two albums on Gotee Records. Their success in the underground hip-hop movement in the early 2000s led to their performing at Scribble Jam in 2003 and 2004 and, ultimately, their signing to Gotee.
4) Kevin Max: Kevin Max (born August 17, 1967) is an American singer, songwriter, and poet. He is best known for being a member of the Christian pop group DC Talk. As a solo artist following the 2001 dissolution of DC Talk, he has recorded eight full-length studio albums, one Christmas album, and four EPs. From 2012 until 2014, he was the lead singer of the band Audio Adrenaline.
3) Pigeon John: John Kenneth Dust (born John Kenneth Dunkin:November 30,1972), better known by the stage name Pigeon John, is an American rapper based in Los Angeles, California. He is a former member of L.A. Symphony.
2) EISM: Everything in Slow Motion (EISM) is an American music project by former Hands frontman and Christian metal musician Shane Ochsner from Fargo, North Dakota.The project began in February 2012, and he signed with Facedown Records soon thereafter. EISM first released a studio EP entitled Red in late 2012, and his first studio album entitled Phoenix that released in late 2013. The latter got the project commercial successes and critical acclaim.
Indian Ocean: Wait until you hear them...